Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 08:02 AM
iceman49
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by Claybird View Post
Being an airline pilot used to be a profession everyone looked up to. Over the past 15-20 years it's been ridiculed and people think that 'oh, like a bus driver, but in the air. These guys just push some buttons. Big deal'. His behavior does nothing but reinforce this erroneous thinking.

Also, I think it's important for the public and for your passengers, let alone your crew, to display (and act in a manner demonstrating) professionalism and somberness that such a position demands.
Passengers need to know you are capable of handling things and such antics give the wrong impression. (This guy may be the best damn pilot since Lindberg, but perception is reality).

Your crew needs to know they will HAVE to follow your guidelines in case of an emergency no matter what. Camaraderie of this nature does nothing to establish oneself as head of the peking order. People simply won't take you seriously and even if they do, they will do so reluctantly.

I'm sorry, but this is an utter embarrassment.

Just my 2 cents.
Agreed, the company encourages engagement, he got the attention he wanted. What's that saying about good and bad publicity? The quote about fly it like he stole it, hate to say it, but I've heard it before sitting in the back!