View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 06:45 AM
TheWeatherman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by MarineFly View Post
Gents - lots of great info here. Thanks! let me digest.

I understand the part about the VA not funding the 1,500 hours of flight time to qualify for an ATP. But what about the 250 PIC hours in an airplane?

What about the Aviation Universities and part 141 schools? How do they get their students to 250 PIC in airplanes?

and FIVENINERZERO - how do you use your GIBill 'ad hoc' as in "GI Bill ad hoc at a Part 141 school for $12k per year up to 3 years" and why only 3 years? I thought it was four - the equivalent to someone using four years of undergrad benefits (though with different dollar amounts).

MarineFly
The 12K per year only applies to the cost of the credits themselves. The flight time is considered additional "fees" which the GI bill covers all. That is why you can only use the GI Bill at Part 141 VA approved schools, because the VA wants to make sure you and the school aren't abusing the program by adding on a bunch of bogus hours just to build time. So you can have a part 141 program, but if it is not "VA approved" the GI bill won't cover it.

I had two choices when I left the military.

• I could stay on the Montgomery GI Bill and go to a part 141 flight school (not college) and the GI bill would pay for 60% of training, I would have to pay 40%. Advantages: I could get my ratings quicker. Disadvantages: I have to pay 40%
  • Or I could convert to the post 9/11 and go to a Part 141 VA approved college and get everything 100% paid for plus get a book stipend and E-5 housing allowance based on the number of credits I was taking. Advantages: Do not go into massive debt pilot training, reduced ATP, another degree. Disadvantages: It would take about 6 months to a year longer

Despite already having a Masters degree, I choose to go back to college and get my associates in Aeronautics to get everything paid for and to get the reduced ATP (I now only need 1250 hours instead of 1500). With my previous degrees, I did not have to take any Gen Ed classes because they credit them with my college transcripts, you I just had to take a few aeronautics ground courses and flight training. The colleges as part of their VA approved program will get you close to 250 hours because that is how the training is mapped out in their program. Be careful though, if you go over what hours are approved in the 141 program, you have to pay for those out of pocket.

I have zero experience and have never heard of anyone using the GI Bill for flight training while Active duty, so I can't give you any info on that. I doubt that your CO would sign off on anything like this if it would cause you to miss duty.