View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 07:21 AM
mark hughes
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Default Aircraft Cabin Pressure

I recently toured the Boeing facility. They mentioned that the 787 has a lower cabin altitude than other aircraft.

Apparently, one of the big needs for pressurization (aside from passenger comfort) is that it reduces stress on the fuselage.

As the cabin pressure gets lowered at altitude, passenger comfort increases. It looks like newer planes are getting cabin pressure around 5000-6000 feet at cruising altitude, with the Bombardier getting pressure to 4500 feet.

It appears that a key component to lowering cabin pressure at cruise is the structural strength of the fuselage. Boeing indicated that carbon fiber is stronger than aluminum, so that allows a lower cabin pressure due to a stronger aircraft structure.

My question is: what is the limiter on fuselage strength and lowering cabin pressure? Is it weight (more strength means more weight)? Is it cost?

I would think that cruising in an aircraft at a sea level cabin pressure would offer plenty of benefits to an airline and passengers.

Do you see any breakthroughs in lowering cabin pressure on the horizon? Is cruising at sea level cabin pressure optimal?

All of the articles that I find online talk about fuselage structure and cabin pressure. I'm wondering if there are other ways to lower the cabin pressure.

It seems that lower cabin pressure will have excellent travel benefits. I'm not an engineer-type.

My son just started college at Embry Riddle this year, studying aerospace engineering. I told him if he can figure out a way to get aircraft cabin pressure to sea level, he'd have an incredible career.

If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thank you!

Mark