View Single Post
Old 01-25-2016, 06:09 PM
Work4life
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Default jetBlue or Alaska

I'm about to separate from active duty and would love to live out west. I have all of my ducks in order-apps out, networking in order, interview prep, etc. I haven't decided exactly where I'd like to settle down but California, Arizona, and Nevada are on my radar. I hate the cold and the rain so north of California is out. Sorry PNWesterners, nothing personal.
Which airline would you go with? I know, I have to get an offer first. The first few years pay is about the same but talking to a few military buds, there seems to be more opportunity to make more money at jetBlue. Alaska has a higher 401k contribution but nothing else really stands out besides this. Both are strong companies but Alaska concerns me a bit being so small with very slow growth, whereas jetBlue is more than twice the size of Alaska and is still growing at a healthy pace. How are the work rules? How senior does LAX (Alaska) and LGB (jetBlue) go for a new hire? How about the upgrade times?
Thanks in advance and my apologies for the dumb questions. I just don't know a whole lot about the airlines.