Old 01-28-2016, 04:02 PM
bkC130
Weekend Warrior

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: B737 FO
Default New hire seeking ORD Jr FO B737 v A320 advice

1/27 CJO here told to expect 3/1 or 3/8 start and I'm seeking some advice from relatively junior O'Hare FOs in both narrowbodies. I'm pretty versed in the relative merits of each airframe independent of specific domicile re: comfort while flying (320) vs. (perhaps?) better overnights/destinations (737). I know relative seniority is a crapshoot/moving target with both fleets growing. I'm 41 so I'm assuming with the relatively even split I've seen in the January classes that I should have airframe choice if not domicile as an older-than-average new hire (that doesn't feel great to say!)...

My family and I live an easy 12-15 minute drive from Lambert just west of St. Louis....O'Hare seems like a no-brainer as a 1+15 flight with 16 total direct flights per day including about 7 United Express RJs and several AA MD80s. Here are a couple specific questions if you all would kindly help out:

- Any STL commuters who can chime in on a) relative difficulty/ease of STL-ORD commute and which more junior base I should chose at drop night since ORDs is rarely avail until first vacancy bid? STL-EWR looks promising with 4 United Express and several SWA each day (albeit a different terminal)...I understand SWA rocks for commuters with early boarding. I also hear that EWR trips are much better than SFO/LAX junior trips WRT redeyes and body clock so I was planning on trying to grab EWR regardless of airframe?
- Airframe. I flew 737s in the USAF from '04-'08 and haven't flown anything in 2 years....I'm leaning Guppy for familiarity as I knock the rust off AND what appears to be better destinations (toes in the sand and hub-to-hub stuff yes?) Can any junior ORD 737 or 320 FOs weigh in on their years 1-2 trip variety via PBS? Also, I'm interested if either airframe out of ORD has a decided advantage for commuters (i.e. pairings with later launches and earlier recoveries to avoid hotel nights?) Specifically, there is a UE RJ STL-ORD 7 days/wk that takes off at 0500 and lands by 0615 followed by an AA 0517 land 0630ish....I will probably preposition for early lines the night prior during probation to play it safe but with those 2 flights plus about 2 more landing before 0800, I'd love to be able to start some mid-AM launches from my house in St. Louis at 0330....more likely in either airframe from ORD?

Any other "tiebreakers" specific to ORD ops? I'm assuming the 2 yr seat lock so I'd like to make a smart choice. I'm also wondering if STL will be a ripe target for "upgauging" with the new 737-700 order delivering mid-2017 or if this market is more likely upgauged with A319s....I'd love to eventually be able to put STL overnights into PBS without screwing my overall line quality....pipedream?! Currently there is a solitary seasonal 737-800 STL-SFO mainline here, otherwise all RJs.

Lots of questions...sorry for the overload but hoping for some perspectives from United STL commuters and/or younger ORD FOs. Cheers!
BK

Last edited by bkC130; 01-28-2016 at 04:17 PM.