View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 09:18 AM
skycowboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: CFII MEI
Default Career after testicular cancer?

Ok testicular cancer used to be (and as far as I know still is) the most common malignancy in middle aged men ages 18-35, this is prime entry age for people looking at a career aloft. Testicular cancer since the developement of new chemotherapeutic agents and hyperthermic treatments has been associated with extremely high cure rates, and most go on to lead extremely successful cancer free lives, and this effect of high functioning individuals who beat the cancer is known as the "Lance Armstrong Effect" obviously after Tour-de-france winner Armstrong. Even advanced level cancers are associated with excellent prognosis (Armstrong himself had mets, to the liver, lungs and brain) My question is this, would it still be possible to pursue the aviation career if one was afflicted with testicular cancer and went through nessacary treatments? Ever heard of cases where testicular cancer was involved.

I fall right smack into the age demographic and it is something that resides in the back of my mind.