Old 08-01-2007, 07:35 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by UnskilledFXer View Post
This is what the LOA says:

Where does it mention tax gross up?

The person you chastised in you previous post pointed out the factual definition and explanation of a "tax gross up" not some hidden reference to a web site and theoretical tax program.

Without tax equalization, $82.4K tax exemption, tax credit or income adjustment for host government taxes paid, credit applied to income above exemption amount (Captains may want to take a look at that).

NOTE: Proposal made with
the assumption that Hong
Kong government authorities
approve a pilot FDA

Do you think the FDA will be approved if the LOA is not ratified?

But, according to the recent flood of e-mails, from our block reps, union, and company "leadership", they seem to elude to some esoteric information that has been explained to them in such a manner as to overide any concern that may be put forward on this, the ALPA webboard, or by personal interaction. They are telling you how to vote based on information they have received. Why not put out that compelling information to everyone so we can all be so sure this is a good deal.

Your parting note was that you would not discuss if this is a good or bad deal. How could you? You have no comparisons, no examples, no solid information.

Tony, I appreciate your willingness to address issues in this forum. That goes a long way towards establishing your genuine concern about this issue.

(I quoted the fourth sentence ("Without tax equalization...") because I don't understand what you were saying.)

I tried to provide you with facts, and I apologize if you felt I was chastizing.

I can answer any of the above questions you have raised, but I won't do it here in public with 4760 amateur tax accountants and the rest of the world looking on. If you'd like to ask a specific question on the ALPA Webboard, I'll do my best to accomodate you.

The first time a math teacher demonstrated to me on the chalkboard how to use the Quadratic Formula, I watched, and followed the calculations, and believed that it was correct. I could not have immediately stood up at the same chalkboard and demonstrated to another class of students how to do the same thing. Since then I've practiced, and applied the skill, and even "re"-learned it to help teach my own children.

Similarly, the first time an accountant stood at a white board and explained the industry standard method of Tax Equalization, I watched, and followed the calculations and believed it was correct. I worked through more examples, asked questions, and discussed hypotheticals. That doesn't mean I'm prepared to stand before 4760 amateur tax experts and tell you how Tax Equalization works. I'm not going to school to become an acountant. However, I'll be happy to share with you my "class notes" and the "teacher's handout" (I'll bring them to the Hub Turn Meetings tonight and tomorrow (if I don't get called on Reserve) and do my best, but I'm not an accountant. That's why we hired an accountant. There's nothing esoteric about that.

Let's deal with the facts.