View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:42 PM
FDXLAG
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
(I quoted the fourth sentence ("Without tax equalization...") because I don't understand what you were saying.)

I tried to provide you with facts, and I apologize if you felt I was chastizing.

I can answer any of the above questions you have raised, but I won't do it here in public with 4760 amateur tax accountants and the rest of the world looking on. If you'd like to ask a specific question on the ALPA Webboard, I'll do my best to accomodate you.

The first time a math teacher demonstrated to me on the chalkboard how to use the Quadratic Formula, I watched, and followed the calculations, and believed that it was correct. I could not have immediately stood up at the same chalkboard and demonstrated to another class of students how to do the same thing. Since then I've practiced, and applied the skill, and even "re"-learned it to help teach my own children.

Similarly, the first time an accountant stood at a white board and explained the industry standard method of Tax Equalization, I watched, and followed the calculations and believed it was correct. I worked through more examples, asked questions, and discussed hypotheticals. That doesn't mean I'm prepared to stand before 4760 amateur tax experts and tell you how Tax Equalization works. I'm not going to school to become an acountant. However, I'll be happy to share with you my "class notes" and the "teacher's handout" (I'll bring them to the Hub Turn Meetings tonight and tomorrow (if I don't get called on Reserve) and do my best, but I'm not an accountant. That's why we hired an accountant. There's nothing esoteric about that.

Let's deal with the facts.

Tony,

Perhaps the Accountant I helped hire can fill in this table:

>>>>>>Estimated Tax Equalization Benefit
Memphis
Income..............CDG...........HKG>>>>>>>CAN

Tell him its OK he can get his numbers from Price Waterhouse again