View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 05:30 PM
CC268
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
It wasn't that bad... I did everything at a part 61 school/small FBO, always few the cheaper old planes, and I did a lot of self study. That's where you, as an engineer with good study habits, have a huge advantage. Once you're done with your PPL, you can save tons of money on your IFR/Comm/CFI this way. Also, using a desktop flight sim for your IFR rating will literally save you thousands of dollars and really get you prepared. Just don't use one until after your PPL, otherwise you can pick up bad habits.

I started my PPL training in 2004, and was working as a debt free CFI by 2007. I bet I could have done it a little quicker even, but I was dealing with some other stuff.
Interesting...I think once I get my PPL I will immediately start to save up again for my Instrument Rating...I will have to check out the simulator for that. Maybe my best option is to continue working as an engineer (gaining experience as an engineer) while doing flight training...I guess this will give me the best of both worlds in getting experience in both fields and then I can go from there...

I am not the most patient person sometimes so I tend to want to jump on one wagon or the other...but maybe that isn't the best option here.

I just don't want to sit at a desk all day ahhh haha

So how in the world did you build up all those hours as a CFI working full time as an engineer?