View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 09:30 AM
Yow av8r
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Vital Signs View Post
So what is it about flying that you don't like?

Is it the time away from home, the time away from family, missing every important event, the constant nights is a hotel, the lack of home cooked meals, dragging that damn bag behind you every where you go, the super structured work environment, the endless medical checkups, the endless proficiency checks, the stressfull work days, flying in terrible weather, the fact that you operate multi-million dollar equipment....for low pay, the early wake ups, the late nights, the lack of a schedule, the problem keeping you body clock on a schedule.........
I have to stop now, i am about to quit.

All joking aside, what is it?
You might be joking but all those things suck; plus the other problems that werent mentioned. I have trouble explaining to people why, thats part of the reason I asked this question. I have trouble really deciding on one reason. however with every reason i see people judging me.

although i have trouble explaining it i will try...

Out of those reasons one of the strongest reasons is the proficiency checks. Early into the career, I have trouble remembering all the basics, nvm all the stuff i still need to learn. Honestly I just come to terms that I cant make it in this career. I am tired of people saying things like well you should never give up on your dreams, you can do it if you keep trying.

I love flying but as a career its too stressful for me. I realize every career has stress, however this type of stress is different. I respect everyone who loves this career and can do it.

Right now I am working at a company that even if i where to continue in this career I could not work at; even if i need the hours. My parents don't understand i cant fly while in these conditions just for the hours. I understand that its part of the career to pay your dues, fly under stress, fly well not happy. however i see it as unsafe practice, especially in my case. being sad and stressed leads to distracted flying. I don't want it now and i don't want to continue in the career if i am prone to being stressed at this level.

plus a bunch of stuff... i am going crazy but i have been thinking about this for long enough, and my decision to quit/take a break is final. no one is going to convince otherwise, but know people will try.