View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 02:23 PM
MarineFAC
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013
Position: 737 FO

Nice to see the pilot community is giving you lots of good advice, you have some tough decisions to make in the near future. One option that came to mind was contract flying for a DoD contractor flying multi-turbine aircraft. I recently left one of these contractors and I think this would be a good transition job for you to consider. The company I worked for had a 60 days on/60 days off work schedule making well into the six-fig salary range. A work schedule like this would allow you plenty of time to explore other industries while remaining current/utilizing the education your folks financed. In your off time you can look at other career options, travel or...well do what ever the ******* you want. If you have any questions about this career field feel free to PM me.

As for telling your folks, well there have been several Oscar winning movies about the predicament you are in now. If you know you know you are ready to move on because aviation isn't what you thought it would be, just tell them. Your angst over this decision is good sign you are pretty good kid your parents are proud of, and I have a feeling they want you to be happy at the end of the day. Good luck to you!