View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 01:21 PM
doctorwho
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Not an issue with claims approval for an FSA. At a previous employer, the way it worked was that you had a certain amount deducted per pay period. In my case I deducted $25/pay period. We were paid twice a month so that was $600 total.

On January 1st, $600 is put in your FSA account...even though the deductions haven't taken place. You get a Credit Card which you can use to pay for expenses, or you can file the claims on their website (our company used Discovery benefits).

So in theory on January 1st you could go and charge $600 worth of eyeglasses, empty the account and be done for the year.

In our case, my wife and kids all wear glasses. Company offered vision insurance which covered appointments for prescriptions, but minimal on glasses/lenses. We used the FSA to cover those.

You are correct -- it is "Use or Lose" so we kept it down to the $600 a year knowing our annual expenses were something hire than that but we would get the benefit of using the $600 as pre-tax. We never had an issue and failed to use the amount we put in.

As an aside, I left that company in April of 2014 and had already used the full $600 but obviously only had 4 of the 12 months paying in to equal $600. My HR officer informed me that there was not a payback and I didn't owe the difference (I didn't own HR at that company). I don't know whether Discovery Benefits ate it or my company did, but they did not come after me for the missing ~$400 I had spent but not paid yet. Of course, other plans may be different in this respect.

If I was advising someone (and i guess I am here), I would say to try to figure out what you spent on FSA-eligible expenses last year (you can find a list of what is eligible in your plan info or online). Take 75% of that (or what ever is a round number based on your payroll schedule) and make that your first year amount so that you are sure you don't leave money on the table. You can always up your FSA contribution next year if you find out that your calculations were grossly off.

Of note, you cannot use the FSA (or at least I couldn't) to pay your monthly retiree TRICARE premium...

Hope this is of use. Feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like to get into more specific details...