Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Herkflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Left seat of a little plane

Originally Posted by Firsttimeflyer View Post
I disagree with your last part. We debrief each flight and go over any threats, errors, things we could have done better. Each flight is an opportunity to improve. You might not have known you screwed up or are even aware of something you continuously do wrong but if it gets brought up after a regular flight debrief it might save you in a sim check, line check or FAA.

Now doing a debrief or critique on a taxi in is not the right time.
i also used to frequently debrief stuff post flight--when I was in the military and we had formal debriefings, after either a training flight, exercise, or actual combat. Even then, we never debriefed after a "normal" transport flight.

In the airline world we never--NEVER--"debrief" following a routine flight. That would be mind-blowingly pointless.

Now if a checklist or a procedure had changed, and the other guy hadn't yet "gotten the memo" then yes, a quick reminder or pointer would be in order. If the landings were terrible all the time, and you know a good way to fix the issue, that MIGHT be a time to politely bring something up. There are no doubt other times when a little "hey don't forget that we are supposed to do such and such this way, and the company is really emphasizing that" might be called for.

But if we nitpicked every flight (up to five times a day) with "well your taxiing was a bit faster than ideal, work on your radio procedures, my technique is to call for the checklist at such and such a time, and why don't you think about doing the same?" we would all collectively go catatonic with the uber-stupidity of it all.