View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 01:19 AM
Flint77
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Default Airline background checks?

I read posts here on occasion, but this is my first time joining and posting. So, hello!

My question is pretty simple...

I'm in my 30s and interested in pursuing a career in aviation. This is something I've always wanted to do and am now in a position, financially, to see it through. There's just one issue that's causing me hesitation.

I joined the US armed forces right out of high school and made it about 6 weeks into basic training before getting booted due to fraudulent enlistment. I had failed to disclose an asthma diagnosis upon entry and ended up with this uncharacterized discharge. I don't think it's something I can fix, as I understand, and basically just have to live with that mistake.

It's never been an issue as I've never attempted to get a job where military service has come into question (i.e. law enforcement, federal job, etc.). I've never stated on an application that I served in the military -- I'm not even clear on whether or not I should put this down. Probably a question for an attorney, I suppose. Anyway, I've had criminal, driving and credit background checks performed for various jobs, all of which are clean, but the issue of service has never come up.

Further, military service or none, is just the fact that I had childhood asthma a problem in and of itself for a pilot? I've never had an asthma attack, just the diagnosis.

I'm wondering if this will be a roadblock should I attempt to get hired at a regional or larger airline. If so, would it still be worth pursuing this goal knowing that an airline job is out of the question? Maybe that part of the question isn't so simple... I'd love to fly corporate, but don't want to put all of my eggs in that basket.

Advice appreciated.