Old 03-24-2016, 08:49 PM
thatmarine
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Default MV-22 Pilot - Mil to Civ - Roadmap advice?

I am a CH-46 to MV-22 Marine transition pilot and i am currently doing my out-of-cockpit tour as a Forward Air Controller (best gig ever!).

I have 17 months of active duty remaining on my contract (AUG 2017).

Total Time - 1100 hours
T-34C - 100 hours
Bell 206 - 125 hours
CH-46 - 625 hours
MV-22 - 250 hours
A/C CDR (PIC) - 135 hours (CH-46 and MV-22)

I do not have my ATP, but i'll gladly pay to go take the test and the check ride. However, i hear that some regional carriers are paying for it now. True/False?

I'll be at the 11 year point in my military career and i am heavily leaning towards getting out and moving to the airlines. Vice staying in and gutting it out to the 20 year point.

From what i can tell from reading hundreds of posts on this forum, it sounds like the airlines are counting MV-22 time as FW time. Are they?

Basically, i am trying to draw out my own road map to see what i need to get done in the next 17 months.

Here is what i know and i was wondering if ya'll could help fill in what i am not seeing....

1) Flight hours - i know that i need 500 FW hours and i am 150 hours short of that mark (250 MV-22 + 100 T-34). The plan is after my current tour to pay out of pocket for 10 hours of multi-eng time and punch my multi-eng rating. Then to fly single eng a/c to maintain currency if i get stuck in a staff job for my remaining time. I have the required cross country time, night time, and instrument time. I have the military mins for the restricted ATP, but i still need to take the test and course.

2) Here is my list of stuff to do in the upcoming months after i return from my deployment...
-interview prep course
-tranpose all military logbook time into a digital logbook (suggestions?)
-Update FAA card with the following: Instrument airplane, powered lift, type ratings - H46E & BV-107
-Retool the resume and have it proofed by a 3rd party service
-Draft LORs and send them out to aviators i have flow with.

Once the above steps are completed, will i be set up to apply to a regional? I know there is a couple things i didn't post like the FAA radio license, a 1st class med cert, and the ability to get a security clearance...