Old 03-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Brillo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

For anyone that might be interested:

The good news is that most of the airlines seem to have no problems with V-22 time. They recognize the multi-crew, glass cockpit, FMS-equipped, fixed wing IFR flying we do. We've gotten firsthand info, either by guys who have interviewed and been hired (some of them on this board) or directly from airline HR departments that they count the time as multi-engine fixed. This from Southwest, American, United and Delta. That being said, there are a couple of caveats, at least from the people I've talked to. Two of the guys hired were jet transitions, and the other two did a tour at the VT's, so they all had a fair amount of traditional fixed wing experience in addition to their tiltrotor time. I think we're just now starting to get to a point where there will be tiltrotor-only pilots who have a competitive amount of hours applying. How "much" the airlines are counting osprey-only time will be interesting to see. We just had a guy in my unit get an interview offer from Southwest with around 2100ish total time, 1000 helo/1100 osprey and basically the multi/single engine airplane pic mins to get his atp.

As far as getting the atp, you will have to do a bit of work. As much as it sucks, we're powered lift to the faa. It doesnt matter that you've flown it fixed wing across the Atlantic half a dozen times at 15,000 feet, it's not an airplane to them. You'll need to fly a bit on the side to get your 250 airplane pic, but it's not that bad. You've got some already, and the really expensive part is the 50 hour multi engine requirement, which as a pure osprey pilot, you'll have gotten from C-12's in flight school. You rate your commercial multi/single engine land through the milcomp test from what you got at flight school. Fly some cheap single engine on the side with a buddy to get your 250 and you should be good for the atp. All of the other wickets will be hit by your powered lift time.

For what it's worth, I just did the ATP CTP course and we used the 757 sims at American's facility in Fort Worth. The automation, FMS and CRM used in that are really similar to a V-22. It felt like an osprey with a yoke (a really big one).

Get your atp knocked out, build some hours, dont turn down a pure fixed wing gig if you can get it, and apply when the time comes (and hope those of us ahead of you dont F it up). If you need to do a turn at the regionals, be ready for that, too.