View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 06:30 AM
stickwiggler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Part 121, 135 & Military background

Originally Posted by aviatorhi View Post
Was told May 2.

Have to wonder how man washed and how many resigned.
Some truths about the recent hiring/training.
I was in the Feb 8th class.
The Jan class had 8 people in it, of that one person passed on 767 and one on the 777.
This is not a good number but to be fair some of the people had problems related to things other than training or aviation skills.
My class (Feb) had 8 people. The average flight time was over 6,000 for the class. 5 had regional experience with times ranging from 4,000 hours to 15,000 hours (I was the oldest and the high time guy) we had one corporate guy, one 747 guy and one bush pilot.
On the 767 side 4 passed the program, 2 went home. So if you look at the last two classes, that is a pretty bad pass rate. I can not speak for the last class that had the high drop rate.... wasn't there, didn't see it abd I hate, HATE rumors. But, I can tell you the experience of my class.
The two that failed out; 1, the bush pilot from alaska probably should not have been hired in the first place. I drove him to the airport after his interview and he told me they had reservations about his experience (all props no fms) + he had an "Alaskan personality" a bit..... quirky. This guy not making it through is not a reflection on the company. The other guy who busted out had successfully passed newhire training at 2 regionals with quality training programs, but could not make it through Omni.
To be fair, he showed up without completing the required home study they issue you prior to class. The company makes Iit clear that this needs to be done prior to arrival. He chose to work right up until the last minute at another carrier. So while classmates were studying, moving forward each night, he was trying to get caught up on CBTs. Additionally, he definitely had a California work ethic and didn't seem to grasp that this was not going to be a well layed out experience and a great deal of SELF GUIDED STUDY was going tp be required.
Here in lies the problem. For years, Omni was competing with other charter carriers who went out of business. Omni benefited from years of hiring guys with Boeing experience. The program was adequate for them.
If you have never had the pleasure of learning from Boeing manuals, you're in for a shock. You want look up a profile? Good luck! Part of it is in the QRH, another in the FCOM, then grab another piece from FCTM, swing pass the GOM and back to the QRH and voila! Ask me how many nights after class it took to figure out that chaos! Infact, to call it chaos is an insult to some of the great goat ropes of all time.

I am a new hire, so I will be careful with my words + no employee should dog their employer on a public forum.
I heard 1,000 times "we don't spoon feed" and "it's not for everyone". I humbly think these two attitudes need to change. One man's spoon feeding is anothers Standardization program.
Let me be clear, everyone I've met at Omni has been a really good guy. Some of the instructors were horrible teachers but really good dudes who truly cared and made themselves available 24/7. Two of my instructors were 2 of the best I've ever had (thanks Joel and Frank).
As for what was "wrong" with training, that is not for discussion on a public forum, at least not by a newhire who is thankful to have a job. The Dir of Trng is a super guy and is doing his best to query each class member about their experience and trying to improve where they can.
Every student was given extra periods (except my sim partner and I, we were first time goes at each phase) and they are truly invested in your success.

If you are a self starter and good at digging in manuals and can keep on track with little to no guidance, you can pass the program.

As for the March class, at last report they had 10 with one drop so far.

This is a fair minded, non bomb throwing report and I hope it helps those who are considering a position here.

Stick

P.S. I would be remiss if I didn't throw out a thanks to Fletch who was on the interview board and made himself available 24/7 and mentored me along thr way.