View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 11:36 PM
ECQLO
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
They aren't exact, but they are accurate. Tell me Tony, how many tax returns have you done as an expat? Better yet, how many did the NC do in examing this LOA? Was it the same number as the apartments they visited in HKG. I'm SFS based. I've done expat tax returns. These numbers are in fact accurate. Although, I come up with slightly different numbers, the fact is the pilots will be paying all foreign taxes and most, if not all, of the their own $2700 housing allowance! But, because of tax equalization the company can say they're paying for it.

And please, don't tell me I can take the current section 6 option if I would like. You've changed it by tacking on this repulsive "tax equalization" to it. Tell you what, take out tax equalization. I pay and get credit for $38,000 in HKG taxes. I actually get to take the foreign earned income exclusion, which under equalization the company withholds. I end up owing $0 in US federal taxes, and now I keep the $55,000+ dollars of my own money. That, coupled with the 79 CH pay, will go farther than the $2700 the "company" will "give" us, of our own money.
Way to go Underdog.