View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 09:16 AM
rbsjr22
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: First Officer

Originally Posted by Yow av8r View Post
You might be joking but all those things suck; plus the other problems that werent mentioned. I have trouble explaining to people why, thats part of the reason I asked this question. I have trouble really deciding on one reason. however with every reason i see people judging me.

although i have trouble explaining it i will try...

Out of those reasons one of the strongest reasons is the proficiency checks. Early into the career, I have trouble remembering all the basics, nvm all the stuff i still need to learn. Honestly I just come to terms that I cant make it in this career. I am tired of people saying things like well you should never give up on your dreams, you can do it if you keep trying.

I love flying but as a career its too stressful for me. I realize every career has stress, however this type of stress is different. I respect everyone who loves this career and can do it.

Right now I am working at a company that even if i where to continue in this career I could not work at; even if i need the hours. My parents don't understand i cant fly while in these conditions just for the hours. I understand that its part of the career to pay your dues, fly under stress, fly well not happy. however i see it as unsafe practice, especially in my case. being sad and stressed leads to distracted flying. I don't want it now and i don't want to continue in the career if i am prone to being stressed at this level.

plus a bunch of stuff... i am going crazy but i have been thinking about this for long enough, and my decision to quit/take a break is final. no one is going to convince otherwise, but know people will try.
I'm not sure if you are still monitoring this discussion or not, but I'll reply for those that read this and are in the same predicament as you.

I went to school to be a professional pilot. I received a 4 year degree in Aviation Studies and graduated in 2008 right as the economy decided it wasn't a good time to be a new and upcoming pilot. Regardless I did non aviation stuff until I landed an arial photography gig. I did that for a few years and decided the sporadic income wasn't good enough to start a family on. I exited aviation and thought I'd never look back. I in fact began working for AT&T in sales and worked my way up to a Sales manager, managing my own store. I made a great living and was very successful at it. I was promoted to a Store manager much faster than any of my piers. Eventually I realized I was not happy with it and decided to get back into aviation. I now work for PDT and just completed training.

What I'm trying to get at is I understand you want to get away from that stress. Trust me you are trading one for another. Sales isn't all sunshine and roses. In fact one of the things I hated about sales was the goals and stresses that came from that. My old career, liked to put goals out there that were very unattainable and then force call after call to explain why you or your store did not reach those goals. Not to mention I had to punish people for things I didn't personally feel they should have been punished for. Regardless you need to do what makes you happy but trust me the grass is not always greener. I had this employee that wanted to quit so bad and he would threaten to quit on a weekly basis. At first I always tried to talk him out of it, I thought he had great potential, but after awhile I stopped. He hated the stress from the job and thought that that would fix things when he quit. Problem is stress is in every profession, especially those that are of a professional manner.

Anyway, my biggest piece of advice is to learn stress dealing techniques. Balance is key in anything you do. Good luck with your future endeavors and be happy with what you do. Live with no regrets!