View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 08:30 AM
CFI Guy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Black and Blue View Post
I agree. I feel as if I should I should be excited and motivated after reaching this point after so long trying. But in the end, it's forced. I am by no means the worlds greatest pilot, but the cockpit has already turned into a mundane routine with less than 6 months on line. There are moments of fun and learning and amazement, followed by a slam click at a double tree with nothing in walking distance wishing I could go hiking, or out with friends, or find another girlfriend.
As someone else mentioned, maybe the problem is your job and not necessarily the career.

I also dreamed of being an airline pilot but fell into the corporate/charter side of aviation. I fly a mix of 91/135. We go to some great locations. Hiking in Bozeman and Salt Lake is great in the summer. We book our own hotels (usually a lot nicer than the double tree) and keep all the points. We always get a rental car but sometimes we skip it if staying in a downtown area. My per diem is triple that of what my airline friends are getting at the regionals. I like to eat good food. Like you, I prefer to walk around so I always plan my hotel stay based on location. Last year, I spent several weeks on the beaches of Mexico during spring break. Looking for another girlfriend? If I were 23 again, I would have had a new "girlfriend" every week from different college. Did I mention the drinking age is 18 down there? Do you like diving in the carribean? Surfing in Hawaii? Croissant and espresso at a side walk cafe in Paris? My FO pay was comparable to a regional captain or even more in some case especially after factoring in per diem.

I don't want to debate the pros / cons of corp vs. airline flying. I think long term, airlines (especially majors which you definitely have a shot at your age) offers higher overall pay and more benefits. The actual flying part is more mundane. My friends on that side treat the job as going to work, "slam click at the double tree" as you said, work as little as possible while maximizing the pay.

Commuting would definitely suck the life out of anyone. My friends who live in base are flying 10 days a month or less. Some actively try to fly as little as possible to retain seniority while pursuing other ventures.

I have another friend who spent years spraying crops and now flys fire bombers. He loves his job. No 500' and autopilot on. He works the season and has several months off during the year. Flys contract and pursues business ventures when he's off.

Personally, I still flight instruct independently. Good side cash and reminds me why I got into this job in the first place. It's a breath of fresh air to deal with young, passionate aviators. Plus hand flying little planes in hard IMC with no AP keeps the skills sharp.