View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 06:40 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

To the OP, you may be taking some things for granted.

Yes, the travel aspect can be a downer. But you're standing on the edge of unprecedented opportunity in airline aviation, with decades ahead of you to cash in...not just financially, airline seniority can get you a pretty good lifestyle.

While corporate aviation is a great lifestyle for some, what would be a fantastic deal for a single guy could be heartbreaking for someone with a young family. All-expenses-paid week in a tropic resort, but he can't enjoy it because he just wants to hold his little kids. Airlines have travel too of course but with enough seniority you can minimize or eliminate lengthy absences.

If you're looking into a regular 9-5 sort of career...for most folks that means almost certainly less money long-term, way less time off and flexibility, and more stress...plus fun office politics and "out of seniority" layoffs. You'll be home every night but you're on the treadmill for sure. If you're never done that sort of job I would suggest you talk to some older pilots who have and can give you an apples-to-apples comparison. If you have big ideas and might be the next mark zuckerberg or would be interested in upper management then you'd probably be better off in industry...but for most folks who don't find work such an extreme passion that they want too do it 16 hours/day, airlines are a better deal IF your timing is right (it is for a 23 y/o).

There are of course a variety of other jobs in aviation but you have to weigh the pros and cons of each.

Bottom line, due to the rare opportunity you have (this career sucked for my generation) I would think very carefully about bailing on airlines. But like you said, you're young enough to try something else and come back.