View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 08:25 PM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Originally Posted by FlyingPoke View Post
Count me as a 'No' if we're starting a poll.

I personally think being worth a bit less than my counterparts come reirement age is worth the time I will have spent watching my children grow up. All that money may be awfully lonesome come retirement age, or maybe not, but one lifestyle is definitely more prone to a harder home life.
No dog in this fight, BUT, IF you're willing to write off intl widebody flying from the income and career expectations of an airline job, the bolded above is then entirely within the realm of possibilities. I've watched peers do just that by staying narrowbody domestic. They're not on food stamps. Not every airline pilot is chasing the money. I'm actually glad most are chasing the dollar, it leaves some interesting niches within the seniority list to be able to maximize QOL in almost pedestrian-job levels, if you're willing to leave money on the table.

Of course, the question is, what's going to happen when flags of convenience destroy widebody payscales in the US, and everybody then retreat to narrowbody flying, effectively killing the lucrative nature to the career. At that point your assertion would stand; i.e. if you're gonna work for regional CA wages as a senior domestic mainline CA, you might as well do it at the post office and be home every night. But that's not here *yet*. So I'm inclined to still offer up my original point.