Thread: Delta Info
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 06:15 AM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

No 100 seat rumors. The facts are Delta says it can not find a "suitable" 100 seat aircraft while it contracts for 90 seat jets configured to 76 seats. Delta's ALPA unit has negotiated rates below Comair and I think below ASA's rates to fly these big RJ types, but there are much more to operational expenses than pilot wages (lease costs, good deals due to size of fleet, etc...)

It is my opinion that Delta will probably try to move the scope bar up to the limit of their CRJ900's and E jets. Of course we hope that does not happen. The 737-700 is coming to Delta with 10 on order. That is a 100 seat jet. But only expect it in limited numbers for long routes and hot high airports in South America. There are rumors of 20 or so MD90's which would priced in such a way as to make them a 100 seat alternative.

But don't expect any big 100 seat news until Boeing designs a 737 follow on using 787 technology.

The plan is for somewhere around 30 to 31 for the next DAL class, then 35 every two weeks until December when there will be a little pause for the holidays and the plan for 2008 is completed. (This is second hand rumor, but it sounds correct)

I don't know if there are 609 new hire positions. If I'm not mistaken there are something like 250 new hire openings to back fill everyone else going up the stovepipe. At 70 a month that would probably be close to the remainder of this year. The cut off for this bid was just behind my class and there are already 70 or so behind us. The numbers work out close to having this bid staffed by the end of the year (I think). There will be future bids - this is not the last one!