View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 03:48 PM
FlyingGuy
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737 FO

If you have always wanted to be an Air Force pilot I say do it. The vision issue may be tough but almost everything is waiverable or solvable. Don't use some technique to get by the initial screening. That would be construed as a deliberate deception and that will be the end of your chances. I've known USAF pilots that have had PRK free of charge but this was after they were in. The best thing to do is to get the facts before you do anything. If you live near a college with a Air Force ROTC detachment there is likely a pilot on staff that you could talk to face to face. Also you can go to: http://www.airforce.com/careers/officer/index.php

It will outline opportunities and benefits. You can also do a live Chat with an advisor. If you call a recruiter make sure you talk to one that specializes in officers. Despite occasional retention problems there has never been a shortage of people who want to be USAF pilots. Your grades in school are a big plus in your favor. The other posts are correct that you need to understand what you are getting in to. I have been a USAF pilot for close to 20 years now. It is what I wanted to do since I was 7. I am about to retire and hope to go into an airline position but I would not give up the time I had in the USAF. If you had said you want to join to better position yourself for a major airline I would tell you to stay away. If you want to be an airline pilot - be one. If you want to be an Air Force pilot then definitely persue it. If someone tells you "no" talk to someone else until you can at least get a "maybe". They will likely suggest at some point to start in a different Air Force career and then compete for a pilot training slot later. While that is possible I would exhaust all other possibilities first. I've known people who were successful that route but many who tried for 10 years without success. It would not hurt to write to your Congressman or Senators telling them why you want to be an Air Force pilot but need a little assistance.

It can be tough at times but there are people who enjoy their tours in the mid-east due to the challenge and desire to fight "the bad guys" (wide variation depending on your particular mission) but it can be tough on family life if you have one or plan on getting one. I know lots of pilots who got out of the Air Force only to come back in after they were forloughed. They now are determined to stay until retirement despite the hardships. The grass is greener after you've been on the other side I suppose. I feel I make great money ($25K annual pilot bonus helps) so I am not retiring in search of more cash. It is merely time to move on (and I promised my wife that 20 would be it). I will have a lifetime pension and medical care that is nothing to sneeze at as well as plenty of memories. Don't just consider the benefits though. Money won't get you through the tough times and deployments. You have to believe what you are doing is necessary and important. Even when the going gets tough it is nice to know that at least in some small way you are protecting the values enshrined in the Constitution. That is what its all about and not the policies of any particular administration at a particular slice in time. I wish you luck and hope you find what you are searching for!