Thread: Death Valley
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2016, 06:03 PM
Speedy
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2010

Originally Posted by Yoda2 View Post
Flying into Furnace Creek airport is somewhat fun/interesting, although the route from the LA area is circuitous as you will need to avoid a large area of restricted/military airspace. Once in the valley, I believe you can still fly around within it, and it's pretty awesome to experience at relatively low level. At times the Owens Valley route (Western arrival, basically following Hwy 395) can be a very bumpy ride with significant turbulence. If you plan to travel by car, make absolutely certain your vehicle is fit for the trip. At this time of year I would virtually guarantee you won't be doing anything too ambitious! However just seeing the area is pretty cool. Bring lots of water with you, not just a water bottle or two, lots of water! Also bring along some food in case you break down. As far as what to do, there is plenty of info online concerning local attractions such as Scotty's Castle and some others. If driving, watch your speed on 395, the Cops are famous for speeding tickets, especially around Lone Pine. Have fun, It's definitely something for your bucket list...
Thanks so much for the great info Yoda2! I'm definitely looking forward to the trip. Take care out there and thanks again for responding.