Thread: DEBT
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 11:39 AM
cam3r0ngt
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by PRS Guitars View Post
This works, IF you finish and IF you get hired by a major. The problem is a lot of people take out college loans and never graduate. They are left with a pile of debt and a small shovel to dig themselves out with. Add the aviation component and debt and it leaves a chance for epic disaster IF you don't finish either the college or the training.

Read through the "leaving the career" forum for examples of people quitting with debt before ever reaching a major.

I still say, enlist in the military or Guard and get a GI bill at the very least, if you (or your parents) can't afford this.
I'm glad you bring this up. I know a guy who wasn't as serious about the industry like he thought he was. (He's a bit older than me. I'm 18 and he's probably 28 or 30) He stopped flight training and switched to business school but not after racking up nearly $200k in debt at Embry-Riddle. Now he's paying off that debt with a business degree he got.

I think it comes to determination. I am working 60 hours a week now to pay for my current training. Some people want to put in the work but others want to see if there is a way to cut to the chase.

I plan on being in a little debt with college but it is a lot smaller when you work while training rather than committing fully to the industry before you even have a job. Hoping to make sure the college debt is manageable to the point of being able to have a regional job but still manage it. (just incase I can't make legacy out of college)

Edit: Just my ramblings