View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 04:05 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
Running MS Flight Sim with the CGX default?

What "flying" do they do there?
At the Academy they did some induce flying in light airplanes and a Baron that was leased from across the airport. I believe all of that flying ends in mid-late September. They basically sued that Academy course to get people comfortable again in light GA that may not have flown a lot GA recently.
I'm sure that one of our many ASIs following this thread can give some more details to the exact type and amount of flying that is presently going on during the course.

Originally Posted by deadstick35 View Post
Really? 19? Can you two elaborate on this reorganization and what kind of results are you expecting?
In very broad general terms the reorg took the 6 different FAA flight programs and put them all under one line of business within the FAA and put one person in charge of them. There was a big brief on some details of it, but most of it was along the lines of plans for the reorg with program realignment and no names provided or details on how this will work on a practical basis. Many of us are waiting to see what fleshes out in the coming months.

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
haha, I saw "the baron" taxi by at the terminal yesterday...

I thought indoc was going to AFW, but I have no idea.
The AFS-60 flying for the quarterly currency/proficiency will still be going on at AFW, but there C90s are now under the operational control of FIS.

Originally Posted by MidwestXLguy View Post
Damn, the only bright spot of the last 3 week stint was the airplane time. Especially after you're hired and yanked out of the cockpit for 14 months.

Any idea what the length of hire until the start of string is now? A buddy starts tomorrow.
I agree about the 'bright spot" part. I mean the job already had little flying involved and not it is cut some more. A few of the former, and current, ASIs I see on an almost daily basis seem to think that AFS is pushing towards NO flying in an actual airplane, but only observing. It seems far fetched to me but strange things are definitely afoot.

Last edited by USMCFLYR; 08-06-2016 at 04:43 AM.