View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 04:15 AM
MidwestXLguy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: Cubicle dweller

Last October, we got six flights in the Baron simulator, three flights in a C172 (with G1000 and air conditioning) and three flights in a B58GTx (I think) Baron with G1000 and AC.

Considering it had been 13 months since hire date, without being in an a GA airplane, it was a review of commercial maneuvers, engine-out procedures, etc. Most of the guys you flew with were good instructors, and it was especially good to knock the rust off maneuvers I hadn't done for 30 years.

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
At the Academy they did some induce flying in light airplanes and a Baron that was leased from across the airport. I believe all of that dying ends in mid-late September. They basically sued that Academy course to get people comfortable again in light GA that may not have flown a lot GA recently.
I'm sure that one of our many ASIs flowing this thread can give some more details to the exact type and amount of flying that is presently going on during the course.

I agree about the 'bright spot" part. I mean the job already had little flying involved and not it is cut some more. A few of the former, and current, ASIs I see on an almost daily basis seem to think that AFS is pushing towards NO flying in an actual airplane, but only observing. It seems far fetched to me but strange things are definitely afoot.
Yeah, that supposition seems to be floating about. You have to wonder about the hypocrisy of someone who hasn't flown an airplane, or isn't current, checking someone else? While I go off to AFW every quarter, the contract instructors are so disinterested (and it's usually so hot, so rushed, and so controlled) that I can't really say I learn anything or brush up on much. It's usually a 'let's get this damn thing done' and head back home. I'm probably more 'current' this week, having given four initial CFI-rides - my chandelles were pretty good by the end of the week.

PS. If they take us out of the cockpit, I'd have to look at going back to my previous life. I'm not sure I can take the drag of five days a week in the cube.