Airborne
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Red face

Originally Posted by HalinTexas View Post
Lies. All lies.
Very True-

Originally Posted by HalinTexas View Post
The shortages are at the regionals/commuter/small jet. Very few want to work under those conditions. I don't blame them. Those that are there are always looking to improve their own prospects.

Raising the retirement age will only make things worse. Fewer at the smaller carriers will be leaving, but then again fewer will apply given the working conditions and the fact that the pilot will be stuck at that carrier for 5 more years. It will make things worse as pilots at the crappy carriers leave the industry for better pay.
I don't think there is a pilot shortage- companies that pay well and are taking care of their pilots are not having a difficult time finding pilots.
Training cost (directly related to fuel prices) are sky rocketing causing a shortage of pilots with over 1000 tt but as far as below those times, there are more pilots than jobs out there.
But hopefully pay will get better at the regional level so the pay can either maintain or increase at the major level.
If the job at the regional level get worse I will bet the majors will follow, some already have.