View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 05:07 PM
stickwiggler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Part 121, 135 & Military background

To the Skywest pilots:

It is absolutely true that ALPA is far from perfect. I just went to an ALPA meeting where I butted heads with an ALPA "volunteer" because I thought he was going overboard but I ask you to think about the following.

When JA bought ASA the first thing he did was try to make us take a 13% pay cut on our F.O.'s. Because we had a contract (a binding legal agreement) we simply said no. If we did not have a union, he could have imposed those pay rates on us and we would have no recourse.

If that doesn't do it for you because it is abstract information from another carrier, think about this.

When Skywest got 700's on property, I've been told that Ja said fly it for the 50 seat or "combined" rate and we'll work something else out later.

nothing happened for a long time until he bought ASA and tried to force us to work for the rates SW has (without all the great bonuses you enjoy)

RESULT: SW pilots got an "over ride" that brought them up to ASA pay on the 700.

Unions are not the answer for everything, but they do allow coordination, legal binding contracts, and the betterment of industry standards. WE WILL ALL HAVE A BETTER LIFE IF SW has representation.

There is a pilot shortage for regional jobs, we will be, if we are not already, in the drivers seat.

Jump on board, let's improve the entire industry, it's worth the dues.

Stick