View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 07:08 PM
YAKflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 30 West

Originally Posted by WAVIT Inbound View Post
This doesn't look fair. If this is true how should I look at this? You ALPA guys expect me to WANT a union that would try to pull crap like this. I feel uneasy just thinking about it.
Frankly SkyWestPilot1 either doesn't know what he is talking about or he is trying to scare you and others on purpose. What ever your seniority number is now will be what it will be if ALPA gets certified. In the event there is a merged list between ASA and SKW the two groups (assuming SKW is in ALPA) would sit down together and negotiate the combined list. It is highly unlikely JA would merge ASA and SKW as there is no advantage for him to do so. With two separate companies he can bid flying in markets that would otherwise be contractually prohibited by the big boys. Additionally he can whipsaw the two pilot groups against each other by dangling growth for cheaper rates. If the ASA and SKW wanted a merged list it would be a battle royal to make it happen. The last thing JA wants is one big pilot group to deal with, so don't worry about your seniority. Remember this, on the internet anybody can say any thing they want and the next thing you know it's gospel. Do a little research and think about what the industry would look like without unions. Think about a 1% raise over three years. Think about how much SKW is making and how tough it would be for them to just keep you up with inflation. Think about what you paid for gas three years ago and what will it be three years from now. SKW management will pour you a big glass of Koolaid but it's not because they are your friend. They are very happy to have you work for them and glad-hand you like a good ol' boy as long as you sell your skills cheap.