View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 07:47 PM
YAKflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 30 West

Originally Posted by SkyWestPilot1 View Post
YAKflyer
You may very well be right. I'm not an attorney, I am only passing on the info that I got while visiting the ALPA meetings setup at DEN and ORD. I have been to several of them and had a lot of questions. One thing that struck me as odd was the fact that most of the ALPA folks that traveled for those meetings to talk to us were current ASA pilots. I began to question why they were so excited about the thought of us becoming union. Eventually the info came out that I mentioned above. Again, I'm not an attorney, and its very possible that the ALPA guys were wrong.
I didn't want to come across as attacking you, but I do think you either misunderstood what they were saying, or were misinformed. BTW your posts about how the election process works are correct. If there were four unions trying to organize an employee group and combined they got 51% of the group to vote yes, the one with the largest number of votes would represent the employees even if it only got 13% of the votes.

No doubt ALPA has made some bad moves in the past, but it is a bottom up organization where the local MEC's send more direction up than they ever receive down. In any event, any mistakes that may have been made were made by volunteer pilots who were doing what they thought best at the time. ALPA is not run by professional union bosses. Most of us came to this job because of the standard of living the pilots of the majors have enjoyed for the past 40 or 50 years. The only reason the standard exists is because our grandfathers fought for it using ALPA. I doubt most of those who turn their noises up at ALPA would want to try for the brass ring if they weren't riding on the coattails of those who made the profession what it is.