View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 10:38 AM
kronan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt

Have to guess at which insider terms, but my wag is Staging, Business, Personal

Think of those as just different levels of priority on Company booked Jumpseats. Just different levels that we use internally, with different obligations. There is a Contractual provision of No Harm No Foul if you are jumpseating into the hub and meet certain wickets, technically that's only if you use Staging status...but it's a lower priority than Business so some shoe clerk could, and have, bumped pilots going to work so they could commute into Memphis for a meeting
Personal is just that, a lower priority Jumpseat status. And it's one I only use now if I'm Jumpseating somewhere for Personal reasons in no way related to any Company business

If you are fortunate enough to hold trips that begin somewhere other than your domicile, there is a travel bank established and you can travel to/from anywhere in the world. That's based solely on where you need to go, but it's not an unlimited-open amount

Home-domicile-home is considered a fringe benefit by the IRS if the company purchases a ticket (kind of like if FedEx provides Fres w/a company car and driver)

You can do it, but it's a taxable event
Just me, but if I'm relying on someone else's plane to get me to Memphis, I try and get there as early as I reasonably can
If I'm driving (about an 6 hour drive for me), I leave early enough to give me the leeway to rent a replacement car should I have to

And most importantly, if any of my travel plans get disrupted, I keep scheduling in the loop so they don't get blindsided