Old 03-13-2006, 12:05 PM
thedude113

Default Requesting advice from the majors to a Navy guy

Gents-

Please kick this post to another forum if I have done this wrong. I am looking for advice from the civilian side of aviation.

I am a LCDR FA-18 pilot currently deployed on the Reagan and doing operations in the gulf. I love flying to no end. I enjoy flying around the boat and I love flying fighters. Getting more senior, though, means more ground responsibilities and less flight time. This will be especially true for my last 4 years in the Navy if I stay in.

My plan all along was to do my minimum commitment (11 years), enjoy the time, get into the airlines afterwards and fly in the reserves. 3 years ago (Oct 2003), I took a bonus that committed me until May 2007 to buy some more time for the airlines to sort themselves out. Now I am coming up on a year out and I need to let the Navy know what my plans are.

My last three friends to get out got hired by FedEx, SWA, and JetBlue (one each). I would hope that I could land a job with one of them, but I am not counting on anything for certain anymore these days. I will be able to get out with 2800 TT, 2200PIC, 2200jet. I would join the land of the free, or at least free from ground jobs in the Navy.

My alternative is to stay in 6 more years to make 20. That would involve a 3 year shore duty that should be fun flying, followed by 2 year painful sea tour (probably not flying) and a year shore with a 50/50 shot of flying.

Questions:
1. Is the job security and retirement worth staying in the last 6 years?
2. Does anyone think the majors will even be hiring in 6 years?
3. Am I giving up too much seniority by not getting out right away?
4. Am I crazy to get out or am I crazy to stay in, or am I just crazy?

I had my mind made up to get out until this week, when several people (some airline pilots) have been telling my wife that I would be stupid to get out. It’s been enough to cause me to waiver on my decision.

I’m looking for honest opinions from people on the other side of the fence. I have long suffered from a bit of “the grass is always greener on the other side” syndrome. What would you do? Thanks in advance for your time.