View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 05:57 AM
SilverandSore
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: CA
Default Advice to American applicants...

I am not really a doom and gloom kind of guy, however, with the amount of hiring going on, I would put American a distant 5th on your list of major airlines you want to work for (the top 3 pax and Fedex/UPS). The QoL in this contract is laughable. US Airways (especially the West) language blows the doors off of this PoS that APA hoisted on 15,000 SoBs. I am not saying that as a disgruntled Airways guy trying to put a dig in at the American guys, just about every American pilot I've come in cantact with has been great, I'm saying that as a relatively junior guy that is now experiencing the full brunt of this contract we voted in. I've experienced the differences first hand, and say what you want about the sh!tty reputation that Airways had, it was, however, vastly superior compared to the American way of life, and that is embarrassing. I can't believe the 9000+ American guys put up with this crap. On long call reserve you will be utilized beyond what your schedule ever shows. Short call reserve? That's an in base deal, period. That can be decent, if sitting around a crash pad is what you consider decent. Long call reserve, something any new hire commuter dreams of, is worse than in-base short call. Your off days are not your off days, they are moved regularly and back to back trips are not uncommon. Long Call guys have their off days moved before short call guys are even called. AYFKM? Pack for 4 and gone for 6! Have a line and want to move a trip? Get used to Red/Redder, that's the mantra! Fly what you bid folks, and with PBS, unless you're in the top 30, expect the fun to continue!

The nickel and dime antics of Doug are well documented. Nearly every single regional airline has superior contract reserve language compared to what American has. Don't expect the union to share your pain, 'Don't worry son, you'll be senior one day' isn't really a joke here, it's SOP. Only the real joke is on the senior guys that actually think they're special. Sure, come here and get a seniority number but if Delta or United calls in the first year or two, pack your bags and hit the road!

I'm posting this not to get a load off my chest, I'm still thankful I have this job and I generally come to work and do my thing without making any waves, I'm posting this because you need to know what you're getting in to. Sure, Delta is on top, and that can all change, but that fact of the matter is we're on the bottom now and the leadership at APA isn't going to bat for the members and certainly not the contract, Doug is steamrolling them. The implementation of our contract only falls under the 'what saves the company money now' column. Our contract still has 3.5 years left and we've given up any bargaining power. The next contract will cost dearly to get some of the QoL issues back and that will still leave us a distant 5th! So ah, ok, good luck!