View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 06:20 AM
GravellyPointer
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Salmon-37 FO

Originally Posted by Oldfreightdawg View Post
When I started out in aviation life, I had the similar credentials, except I was younger. "Freight dogs" were just that, FDX was still flying Falcon 50's and the pilots were paying for fuel with their personal credit cards. UPS used a conglomeration of "non-scheds" like Ryan Air to haul their air freight, and their captains work for 40K/year (about 1/3 of pax carrier legacy), with no benefits or retirement. I was very happy to be hired at AAL in 1986 at age 24.

Today, those same "freight dog" captains out earn me by 70K/year and have very bright futures. I can make the same comparison with SWA. I knew guys in 1986 that quit AAL to work for Piedmont (bought by US Air) that are now on furlough and working for the new "Republic" as captains for 60K/year (or less). I've flown with FO's at AAL with 10 years seniority that can't go to FDX or UPS or SWA because they lack PIC.
Wow.

Thanks for the real life cookie crumbles stories.

BTW Life, what about the Compass 1 yr. training bond you signed for? Something for your honor and integrity to consider.