Old 03-14-2006, 06:08 AM
Skyone
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: B777 Left

I did six years active duty, had some good flying billets lined up, probably an A6 command etc. and got out. Of course that was 1980 so I would say things have changed just a little. You cannot beat that navy retirement. Can you say "healthcare". That is a bigy. It would be great to get hired by FedEx, SWA, JB or UPS. In 1980 it was great to get hired by Delta, TWA, Braniff, AA, United, Piedmont, Ozark, PSA, (fly Falcon 20s for FedEX?). I thought I had a 32 year solid career at my legacy and within one week of bankruptcy they took all but a pitance of my monthly annuity. Unless you have really stepped on it somewhere, you probably have a fairly decent career, will make at least 0-5 and have a fair retirement. I believe in six years the U.S. airline industry will have shaken out pretty good, one way or another. And for me in 1980, you were toast with the airlines after age 32. No one, and I mean no one ever got hired past 32. That is dead now, so that is not even an issue. One question? How long will it take to recoup the money you are going to make in the nav. the first few years of an airline career. Take a look at UPS, JB and some others first, second and third year pay.

Just ask yourself this, where will you be in six years with the Navy and where might you be six years from now with whatever airline. A lot depends on what airline you get hired with, too. Hope this was helpful from an old dog's perspective. Of course I did retire from the reserves, so that will help at age 60.
S1