Old 09-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Mr Spooner

Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post

As far as learning experience goes, people who have been in a variety of aircraft and training situations like tailwheel, single engine commercial, glass cockpit, etc. are more broadly experienced. I have noticed that academy cfis are not as adept at teaching, they learned a system more than a subject; but I doubt anyone cares very much about that.

I guess the thing is one should not go through life without a 4-year education, and by the time you have taken out your loans on that that plus $55k for ATP you are in some serious debt. If you go to college but go to an FBO you save $20k and will be that much closer to the light at the end of the tunnel. With flying jobs starting at $16k I can't see the hurry to get there. Why not do it more cheaply, arguably better, with a $20k incentive. Another thing is that FBO-style flight training makes a wonderful complement to college coursework. Study all day then go fly for a couple of hours.

I have a few problems with what I believe is the accuracy with your post. There are two things that make you an effective CFI, depth of knowledge and how you communicate that knowledge. Being that you have a tailwheel endorsement or glass time does not make you a better CFI then someone who doesn't. I used to fly aerobatics in a Decathlon and I can say it did nothing for me as a CFI. 141 instructors have both pros and cons. I believe that your 141 instructor usually has a deeper understanding of the subject matter because it has been ingrained everyday, 8 hours a day, for the last year. At a 141 school you have numerous stage checks at which you must demonstrate, hopefully, your somewhat vast knowledge of subjects so you have to know your stuff. Cons are that most 141 instructors lack "real world" flying experience, having never left anything outside their practice area unless on a X-Country.

Also, keep in mind that a part 61 education will take longer. So everyone will need to weigh the pros and cons with extra cost vs. an extra year of training.

Although I do not reccomend DCA as a flight school I do suggest the 141 school. After receiving my private part 61 I decided to make to make this a career I wanted to go somewhere and immense myself in flying; eating, drinking, and breathing it. You get this at a 141 not a 61 which are usually more laid back with their limited number of planes and availability.