Old 09-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Bellerophon
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Capt B747-400

Originally Posted by citationdrvrmob View Post
Anyone here been hired by, or know anyone hired by, a Legacy carrier that never went to a regional or had military experience?
I'm pretty sure you're asking about the hiring situation in the USA, about which I know little, but it was, and still is, very common in many other parts of the world.

I was hired by a European Legacy carrier, with 250 hrs total time, most of it at their training school, into the right hand seat of a three engined jet. Far from being an exception, this was the norm for this airline, with the majority of their new pilots entering this way, with no prior jet experience.

30+ years later, we still take a lot of low time pilots in, along with experienced ex-military pilots. All both groups have to do is pass the selection tests.

For what it's worth, my personal impression is that in Europe/Mid/Far East, selection tests are given more weight, and flying hours and licences less weight, than seems to be the case in the USA.

If relocating abroad, and/or obtaining a JAA licence are things you might consider, why not at least take a look at trying for a foreign airline.

Best of luck in whatever you attempt,

Bellerophon