View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 04:06 PM
GingerDan
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2016
Position: SWA FA
Default Will skipping the CFIs hurt my future?

I've read a handful of threads on the no CFI topic but I'm not sure my scenario applies to them.

I'm currently a PPL certificate holder with 59TT. I have two options for airline pilot training - ATP and an FBO. ATP is the front runner for financial purposes mainly, and multi time. I met with an FBO today who has an interesting setup. Basically, his program would put me through the basics for airline pilot training except he leaves out all CFIs. His program would run me (my personal scenario) $30k rather than $60k at ATP. I would end up with less multi and no CFIs but the same TT - 200 or more. I know there are regionals that will hire without CFIs and I can build hours at scenic here in Vegas.

My concern is how my resume will look without the CFIs. Now, I could go back after starting at scenic or a regional and get those certs later while I'm building time for majors. The main reason for considering this is that I prefer the instruction from an FBO over ATP and I could only afford an FBO if the cost is closer to 30k.

I appreciate your time in responding. I'm super excited about earning my certs and I want to get out and earn time as quickly as possible. I just don't want to ruin my chances with the majors later on by cutting that corner. Thanks!

~ Dan