View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 06:44 AM
AllanDerby
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2016

I tried them out and decided not to take the job. It seems like good people who work there, but the owner's a cheapskate.

I think they try and make all newhire Caravan pilots sign a 1 year Training Contract. I have a couple hundred hours PIC Caravan and the best I could negotiate down to was 6 months.

They have 6 routes and most of them are in desirable locations. I guess that is how they get away with having a training contract in this environment.

The Chief Pilot told me it was $4000 on the phone. I drove to Chicago, went through 3 days of indoc and he gave me the contract to sign. He forgot to mention that there is a clause in there that says the pilot must reimburse the company for hotels, travel, and meals during training. That easily tacks on at least another $1000.

They put me up in a roach motel for route/flight training. I wouldn't normally care about that, but if you google the motel, lots of pest problems come up. Yikes, no thank you.

There are 2 reasons to work for them the way I see it.
1. You live near one of their routes.
2. You have 1200 hrs and no turbine time and no one else will hire you without a contract.

btw: If you have never flown the Caravan before and you decide to work for them make sure to order a flight safety Caravan manual off ebay first. Also, see if you can get flows and checklists from a Caravan pilot at another company. Also, order the smallest size of JetPubs cockpit posters (3 different posters) so you can practice your flows and checklists. The indoc training at PlaneMasters is good, but the ground training for the actual airplane was pretty bad. I can not believe that they are charging people for that training and do not have it better organized then that.

If the contract goes away, I will gladly remove this post.

Last edited by AllanDerby; 12-16-2016 at 07:12 AM.