View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 07:32 AM
Five93H
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Low approaches. Id let them fly the until short final, then I take the throttle. Basically doing the slow flight down the runway as above. Let them work on sight picture and controlling centerline. Do it a few times, and each time I'd get a little lower. Go around after the first 1/3 as another poster mentioned. Eventually, power smoothly to idle and a smooth touchdown (once they are comfortable flying it low, not a great idea if they are still two feet off the pavement!). Boom, smooth landing with a perfect sight picture in their head. Once or twice more, give it to them, and call it a day. No point in over saturation. Ten trips in the pattern was my usual limit. Anything more and it's overkill.

Found this worked really well with students. It wasn't just me saying "watch this". They got to do most of the controlling without it being overwhelming. Didn't have to holler, as they aren't in a position to cause anything drastic to happen. The look on their face with the first "surprise" landing was always a good one.