View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 01:13 PM
WacoQCF
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Good stuff first:

I was given a conditional offer letter based on a phone interview, the Chief Pilot and Asst Chief Pilot have been very impressive in supporting me – especially after the offer letter. There are some nice things about it - the work schedule is mainly daytime/home every night, and 3 day weekends, some volunteer overtime is available!

Bad:
I was given an offer letter in about 05/2016 and that offer letter was rescinded about 09/2016 based on an unfavorable background investigation. Totally unexplainable. USMS Background Investigation Service (BIS) and HR have been completely uncooperative in giving any additional detail beyond “unfavorable background”.

Background:
I am a current Federal Agent and Pilot for US Customs, I wear a badge and gun to work when I fly every day and have a current OPM background that was “favorably” adjudicated in 11/2014 with a CBP Top Secret clearance. Additionally, I am a O5 US Navy Reserve Intelligence Officer for US Special Operations Command Headquarters, where I also had a background adjudicated “favorable” in a separate OPM investigation in 11/2014 (that is 2 good backgrounds from OPM) and have a TS/SCI+++ clearance that remains current. Hell I just deployed forward in a Task Force as an Intelligence Director for 6 months. Nothing has changed in my status…no DUI’s, body parts in the freezer, battered girls, etc. I’m basically not a confirmed dirtbag per OPM and DOD.
Issue:
I have “evidence” that USMS never opened a new background from OPM or an approved investigative source – just suspect that they got a USMS Marshal in the local area to talk to that one person who might say something negative – we all have at least one ex girlfriend/****y coworker/nosey neighbor etc. But, you KNOW if an investigation occurs because people tell you, and eventually someone from the agency shows you a badge and interviews you as well (and if you FOIA OPM like I did, they show you the most current date). Didn’t happen. As a cop, you get accused of stuff that IA investigates – and I have papers for the limited times that clear me of all professional misconduct (or else I’d be fired and sued)…it’s the cop life. No problems. I was told that I was selected specifically because they had the last 6 previous applicants disqualified (with one still 18+ months into his background) & they had never had such a highly qualified and current applicant…that would be a sure thing.
Now….Executive Orders 12968, 13381, 1045, 13488, 13467, 2 CFR 732.402(b), and the Intelligence Reform &Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 prevent exactly what USMS has done by law. Agencies are “mandated to” provide reciprocity and “accept a background investigation by ANY OTHER authorized federal investigative or adjudicative agency, provided that the clearance is not temporary or interim and the background investigation was favorably adjudicated, was at the appropriate security clearance level for the position, and was completed in the past five years…BUT ALSO….” cannot make a new determination for a person who has already been determined suitable.”
I sent this to the Chief and Asst Chief in an effort to help anyone following with a DOD or Agency background to get thru the process without the pain I have faced.
Motivation:
I had a former JPATS pilot tell me he would have NEVER left JPATS unless he was convinced that all the flying was going to contract pilots exclusively…the next thing he hears after flying for a texas airline s that JPATS bought 3 737’s. The Chief and Asst Chief told me that flying isn’t going anywhere!
So what is up? I believe at a executive or senior USMS level, there is a push to make this go to contract flying - and imagine if persons had a $$$ interest in making sure that happened? So, if USMS can not attract ANY qualified Pilots, they would have to bid out the flying to a contractor, possibly to fly USMS airplanes. If so, this would be un-ethical and possibly illegal.

So, I will repeat that:
I think very highly of the Chief and Asst Chief. Since my letter was revoked, they have been open and supportive – so much so that I still get a call occasionally to check on my progress. Good sign of the management to me. I think the flying days only and going home nearly every night is great, and the equipment is also not a bad thing to have (you do need a 737 type to apply & the DC9 is gone).

I am currently still pursuing a written apology and reinstatement from the USMS BIS and HR; and have various levels of horsepower behind that effort. Good luck to you, I would certainly apply and see what happens.