View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 08:53 AM
boyzarus
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Boeing 767 First Officer

Originally Posted by EPICguy View Post
I really appreciate the feedback.

Jason605, how are the schedules? There are so many things I have questions about and pros/cons I have to weigh. I certainly don't want to be making multiple job switches, but it seems the consensus is that I should hold out.

My resume is diverse but I am a staunch opponent of job fairs, etc. I totally agree that us high time guys are for some reason "un-hireable". Since when did experience become detrimental to a career? I have an aircraft maintenance background, currently a Director of MX for a 135 operation, have flown corporate 91/135, management, CKA, helicopters.... No idea why I can't get a call. Maybe it's because I refuse to pay $400 to go stand in line with 10,000 other people begging for a job. If that's what it takes, I guess I will be at a "Regional" (since when did 1800 nm legs constitute regional?!?) forever.

Thanks again for all the input, guys.

A little over a year ago, I left ABX after 21 years for a legacy airline. That was a tough decision, but I'm 100% happy I had the opportunity to leave. What really pushed me out the door was the burden of angst that I seemed to carry even when I was at home. Keep in mind that there is a massive divide between the old crews and the new hires at ABX. Most existing crew members there have a couple of decades or more at the company. They remember what it was like to fly for a company that had integrity, goals and pride. The cargo world is devoid of niceties and extras that the pax carriers take for granted... but that's ok. That's part of the sacrifice and buy-in that it takes to do the work. However, for that commitment, there is the expectation that the employer is going to fight like hell to be a great airline and support its people (pilots). Airborne Express was like that.
Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, ABX Air lost it's moral compass. The path that management chose to take after DHL in 2003 has manifested into a toxic culture. The "old heads" will never forget the awful fall from grace that the company electively chose. For you new guys, congratulations for being hired into an international, heavy jet operation, that's valuable. But do yourself a favor and don't let it be your entire life. If you can avoid letting your work world taint your personal life, you'll probably be ok. You don't have the baggage of distrust and heartache that the old crews hold. Just beware, it's invasive, like a cancer. Go fly the big airplanes and see the world, but don't believe in promises and false hope. Maybe you can be the new guard that turns things around.