Old 01-07-2017, 01:52 AM
sas97
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Default Military or Commercial(it is not just that)

Hey there, just registered and I want to ask your opinions on something. I know there are threads with such questions however my situation is a bit different-
All my life(I am now 20 years old), the only thing I have ever wanted to do is to be a pilot and I think everybody knows what that feels and how it burns you up inside. Now sadly, my parents aren't in a financial good situation and so this limits my options to only two:

Military
Pretty explanatory by itself however there are a few catches-
1. The military pilots in my country don't fly much- the luckiest ones do about 100 hours/year in the very best case scenario.;
2. If I chose military there is 4 years of education and 10 years duty- which make of about a 1000 hours of total flight time- Do you think that at 34 it would be easy/manageable for me to land an airline job as I do not want to spend all my life in the military with those hours;
3. The first four years studying is spend in a city of no more than 15 000 citizens, where social life is pretty noon existent(I am not a cry baby, but everybody needs at least a bit of social life to stay sane);
4. I know that the military is pretty exhausting on the personal life, so if I fear I would be 34 with little to no friends and no girl

Commercial
Now, as I said, my parents are not financially stable and cannot support me. So if I choose this, I would have to go to Scotland, where i would study Computing Science(something I enjoy as a hobby). This in turn taking 4 years of education and then finding a job where I can earn enough to pay for lessons. The catches here are:
1. As my parents cannot sustain me, I would have to rely solely on my own- I would have to get a job while I am studying and if I cannot find one I am done(or say if I am 3 years into studying and cannot find a job, I would have to come home);
2. By my calculations, the process would take about 10 years and I am afraid that life will get to me and I would be unable for one reason or other to change professions;
3. I am not sure that I want to go straight ahead to civil aviation, as I am a bit of adrenaline junkie and live to the fullest kind of guy and I fear that commercial piloting may be boring for me for the most part of it (just sitting and checking instruments for hours)

What would you choose?