View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 09:13 PM
BeatNavy
Covfefe

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Fastest way for you to get to a major airline is probably civilian if you are close to having your ratings. Mil flying is fun. At least it was for me...shooting things from helicopters, hanging out with the bros, that kind of stuff. The mickey mouse BS the man is dishing out can suck it though. Flying tankers? Not my cup of tea. Especially since you have to deal with the man still. If you were waiting to go fly F/A-__s, and that is your dream, I'd say stay. You can never do that again. Or if you really want to pass gas to fighters then stay (blah). If flying rubber dogpoop out of hong kong is your thing, do it at FDX/UPS and make a lot more money.

The desert isn't cool. Losing friends isn't cool. Sure C130s and C17s do some cool stuff. I've jumped out of both. I've flown in the cockpit in both doing army parachute drops, and rode up there going to/from/around the desert. They do some okay stuff. Nothing that cool though IMO. My tanker buddies have some ok stories, but they are generally from some cool TDYs and not from the flying itself. The flying itself isn't that appealing to me and I've never heard a cool tanker flying story, unless having fighters fly formation and get gas is a cool story. They have some cool TDYs/overnights, but I'd rather have better seniority at DL/AA/UA and have better overnights there where I'm making more money and generally not going to the armpit of the world on most TDYs/deployments. That's just me though. Good luck.

If you can stay in the guard, get your ratings and get on with a regional with a flow, then go to UPT, you could get a flow number and could potentially get the best of both worlds. Not sure if age-wise that's a possibility.