View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 AM
gettinbumped
Banned

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: A320 Cap

Originally Posted by DB Cooper View Post
I just spoke with trip trade desk. I found out the following. I tried to pick up a trip in open time via STT. A junior pilot to me got it because he had something a senior pilot to me wanted via a trade. The senior pilot to me didn't and doesn't want the trip i want and has no request in for it. The system however gave the trip to the junior pilot to facilitate a separate trade with the senior pilot.

I could have understood if the senior pilot wanted the trip I wanted, got it, then traded it in a separate trade, seconds later. At least he/she owns it momentarily. But in my case, and most cases, the senior pilot never knew the trip in question was even open/available.
Have had this happen a couple of times. Basically the computer runs the trades in seniority order. So if it's able to award a Pilot senior to you his/her trip trade, it's going to do it. Sometimes that trade requires a cascade of trading that might include a pilot junior to you getting the trip you wanted; but that was the only way to execute the senior pilots trade. Then the system moves down to the next Pilot, which means your desired trip may now be gone as part of an already executed trade.

Kind of sucked when it happened to me, but in the end, I don't know how else you would do it. You can't deny the senior pilots trade just because it causes an issue later on just so you (junior to said Pilot) can get your desired trade.