Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 PM
andy171773
Furlough line holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: CRJ2, ATR, CRJ7, E145, 737

DCA IS in big trouble..as a former CFII, MEI and check pilot in the Mass base they have had a huge decrease in morale and profitability recently, the last few quarters especially. Last i had heard, DCA up in Mass is 1/4 million in debt, largely because of poor management, awful (and i mean awful) airplanes (mx costs add up quick), and improper facilities to perform those maintenance actions in a timely manner. By this i mean no owned hanger. The hanger used was across the main runway, and was usually 99% full due to storage. The airplanes at the Mass DCA are old, very old. Not only that, but every single airplane has over 10,000 hours..and some as high as 18,000 in a 172. All are from the late 70's early 80's and were in utter disrepair, barely airworthy. The inadequate facilities really made it difficult to get the airplanes started in the very low temps during the New England weather. Since we had no hanger, we had to preheat the airplanes with these prehistoric propane heaters, which did more damage to the instructors operating them (melting clothes, burning hands) than it actually heated the airplanes. Write ups would bring the planes down if they wouldn't start, not because of an actual mechanical problem (our Cessna's just don't like to start in very cold weather) but because the Hobbs meter would click over during the failed start attempts. Thereby leaving the student with an unacceptable charge on their account that DCA would have to swallow (most likely adding to the debt).

The unencumbered recruiting of students by both the affiliate collage and DCA did not help matters. As a dwindling instructor group (due to an industry wide shortage of pilots..from low minimums) got even smaller and smaller. Average student loads per instructor were easily over 10 and upwards of 15, and management demanded more still from the instructors.

DCAs strong armed bully approach to their employees has been well documented in the past, and has gotten worse in the present. As a student, you may think this does not concern you, but it does. If an instructor isn't motived, or happy to do his/her job, then he or she will never live up to their ability. The instructors by in large are miserable, the compensation is inadequate and the instructors can leave and go to an airline with out their "connections" at any time. DCA thinks otherwise, and will low ball their employees to do anything they can to make them stay, if this doesn't work, and if the employees attitude doesn't agree with DCAs (i.e. not a brown noser), they will straight up make your life miserable, including termination of employment. There have been many instances of management bullying employees to get what they want, at the expense of the employees career at DCA, their airline careers, or even their certificates. Pressures to fly unairworthy airplanes, and pressures to fly in unsafe conditions occur as well. Not necessarily from top to bottom, but they're high enough to cause problems.

DCAs training program is phenomenal, but they no longer have the support to sustain it (MASS closing for example) , or the resources to do it economically (questionable decision/reasoning on the SR-20s).

As a student for 4 years at DCA, and a senior instructor very recently, i cannot recommend a student goes with DCA. Your local FBO is the best bet. It's ashame what's happening, but the usual ups and downs of the industry, coupled with the flaws of DCA are really doing them in. I feel bad for the current students, but study other options long and hard before committing to anyone. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.