View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Couple of thoughts for new hires:

1. Please don't pass on a jet you'd RATHER fly for 2 months difference in training pay verses line flying. You've got plenty of time to make money. I'd hate to see someone pass up a jet they wanted for something "quicker". The real money doesn't show up until year 2. Budget accordingly. Actually, once consolidated, dropping a trip or two and banking the hours to make-up year 2 at almost twice the pay would be a smart move.

2. Mil leave. I flew F-15s for 6 years as a part timer. I get it...doing two jobs is tough. I strongly suggest you NOT take huge chunks (i.e. > 2 weeks) your first year. This isn't about USERRA, or anything else...its about diving in and learning your new job. Get good at your new craft. Showing up and going on 6-12 months of leave for an upgrade or new checkout at your home unit doesn't make it easier for your squadron mates to follow you. We just hired a bunch of corporate guys...and I know they will be solid additions. Any idea why perhaps those guys are suddenly getting the calls and your squadron mates are still waiting for the phone to ring? I'll give you three mother****ing guesses...

3. Be a professional...on duty and off. Remember the new guy mantra at any fighter squadron..."never pass up the opportunity to shut your hole.." I have a friend who was terminated while on probation. He had some performance issues as a SO...but so do a lot of folks. It was a weird new gig. He probably didn't make any friends, however, in indoc with a few "..that's NOT how we did this at company X..." and "...do we really have get that blazer?" (to Orlando Rosado no less...) during indoc. The well was poisoned. We have had guys on probation and not long after do some pretty stupid ****, or drop their guard for a moment and let the fun of the moment overwhelm their better judgement. Don't be that guy. NOQ on probation doesn't bode well for your job security.

4. Do not take on training alone and accept getting behind the power curve. First 121 gig? Your sim partner doesn't hang out or help you? Your sim instructors aren't as helpful as you'd like? It happens. 90% of the guys just stroll on through training. If for whatever reason you find yourself in the 10%, you won't be the first or the last. DO NOT wait until you are struggling to reach out and ask for help. Your sponsor is a great place to start. Still lost? Email me. We have friends in every training shop, and I personally know a bunch of instructors who have gone to the mat to help struggling students. The fact I made it through it two 727 upgrades, the MD-11, and most recently the 75/76 upgrade indicates we have some great instructors. I've never been ace of the base in any training--UPT, IPUG, or my airline training. My learning curve is good enough to stay out of trouble, and I catch up pretty fast, but everyone's slope is different. Having a rough week or two in sims is not an indicator of how good you'll be on the line, but might be an indicator of some particular issues you face this week. There are resources and people ready to help--just reach out. Don't be embarrassed if you find it a struggle--you are in the big leagues now and your job isn't to impress anyone-- it is to graduate and get on the line and start making money for your family.

5. Have some fun. Bring the spouse to Memphis to enjoy a weekend of food and shopping. Go home on your training breaks and love up on the family. Go to eat with your classmates a couple times a week and make a run down to Tunica one night. Ask lots of questions to guys who have been here a while, and if you don't have anyone in your crashpad or inner circle like that then reach out and find some. Perspective form a guy who has been here a while can be valuable in understand what IS a big deal and what is not. Keep reminding yourself that "training is NOT the line, training is NOT the line..." It gets to be fun, I promise. Remember my old squadron commander's mantra: "Knowledge is good, learning is painful..." Every day you are at FedEx your are moving up in seniority, and you'll get more money, more options, and more time off as time goes by. A corollary is "it will never suck more than it does right now..." If you understand that, you'll motor on through training with smile on your face.

6. Out of order, but rather than studying flows or manuals before class use the time to get your home life in order. Don't try to mix moving or other major live events (weddings, etc) around your training. Get it done, or postpone it until you are on the line. FWIW...I wouldn't pass up a class for almost any event, vacation, etc. Seniority is valuable, and will be valuable for decades ahead. Read "Timing your Exit" for my thoughts on that one...

7. Strap on a humble attitude. Going from leading 10 ship F-15 formations enforcing No-fly Zones in combat conditions or doing Red Flags to doing 2 am sims to learn to be a flight engineer felt like a step down at times. Going out 45 minutes before the Capt and FO to do the walk-around and prep the jet while carrying a coffee jug didn't seem all that glorious at the time. Making 3-4 times what I made as an F-15 pilot last year and having weeks and weeks off for hobbies and family was incredible. I couldn't have done the latter without doing the former, however, and I learned a hell of a lot from some great mentors along the way. Be proud of whatever you did before--GV captain, regional LCA, fighter pilot or airlift God...and take what you learned with you into the new arena. Just remember you can always learn something new, and the flexes and LCAs that are training you are ON YOUR SIDE. When I was doing 4 AM boxes two years ago getting checked out as a 76 captain, the facilities, hours, and infrastructure all sucked (that was before everything moved to the Gucci building. Its mo' better now) It would have been easy to get sour, but every time I showed for the sim the instructor was there at the table, fired up, ready to brief and excited to be there. It sort of squelched any inclination to start whining about the process. These guys were ready--and they were there to help. Give them your respect, attention, and effort and they will get your through.

Again--you aren't alone. Most of you will say "meh"...it wasn't that bad and was kind of fun. I hope so. If not--reach out. There are resources to help. Just be kind to those around you, because they want you to succeed as well. Remember that and you will be just fine...