View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 04:55 PM
PostalAV8B
Night Shift

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Eating Lemon Tuna

Originally Posted by Poeman View Post
As the FedEx Hiring thread is getting a little long winded, I thought I might start a new thread for the new year for the new hires

Since we’ve got a couple years of “new hires” now on property with W-2s and possibly holding lines, would some of you all like to share some data with the incoming new hires so we can all make the most educated guess on our fleet choice? I also welcome info from the all pilots willing to impart their wisdom on us.
(I know the system bid was recently, so seats available per aircraft might be useful as well)

Info I think would be useful, please add whatever you would like:
- month/year hired (or roughly when)
- aircraft / base (original assigned or changed)
- how long from DOH to activation (ie how long on training pay?)
- CH in recent years, days flown, RONs, etc
- How was your reserve life? (live in base, commute, crashpad expenses, bid first fly, etc)

- W-2 number would be nice for the first year but it doesn’t need to be public if you don’t want it out here (you can post anonymously if you’d like)

I start on Feb 20 and could not be more excited!
THANKS!
Few data points for you.
--A300 MEM assigned...low last 4 SSN
--2 weeks BI, 3 week break, 2.5 months to complete IOE, so roughly 4 months on training pay
--Sat night reserve for 1 month, VTO lines through summer, day reserve NOV, DEC (By choice). Hard line this Month JAN. Probably bounce between VTO and hard lines from here on out with occasional month of Day Reserve. Do not plan on night reserve again for a while.
--W2 for 2016, 3 months training pay, 8 months 1st year pay, 1 month year 2 pay, no extra and a few dropped trips. Low 70s.
-- I commute and it has been fairly easy so far. Only 1 oh crap moment but still made it. Easy commute for me, 1 leg usually on company AC but have 2 other airlines that fly direct to/from Memphis if needed. Use a crash pad about 2 night a month...friend who lives in Memphis spare room. FedEx sleep rooms more often for 5 hours at a time....commute in AM for afternoon launch.
-- Try to pick up company scheduled DHs that connect through my home airport. Went a month without seeing Memphis during the summer.
-- Always a crap shoot if my airport car is going to start. It sits for weeks at a time without being used.

Looking At the seniority list it looks like there is an even split between the new hires. Roughly 75 bodies on each airframe below me. IMHO it comes down to what type of flying you want to do. Long Haul International, Domestic, Mix of both? Day, night? Week on week off, 12 day around the world, AM out and backs, night hub turns? Movement is so fast right now it seems there is no real bad choice. Not going to sit sideways for 5 years at the bottom of the seniority list. Great time to be hired. As others have said, FedEx seems to be a bunch of different airlines with a variety of flying. Welcome aboard.